Thursday, September 3, 2009

The road to sanity

There are 3 reasons I feel better today.

1) My ultrasound was clear. It's a palpable normal-looking lymph node or a fat deposit on my ribs. Even so, I lied there looking at the screen, worried. Then I waited to find out if they needed to biopsy. They don't make you wait for test results when you've had cancer. But that's not much of a silver lining. I got rid of my breast to avoid biopsies. Reminded me just how much this will never be over. Still, no real lump. That's good.

2) I found out today that going back to work full time next month is crazy talk. The reasonable thing to do is go back in stages, working up to full time. And I have to see my family doctor first. Odd that it never occurred to me that I might not have the energy to do my job like I did before --yet. As if cancer is not a big enough deal. But if I think about it, I'm exhausted 1 day out of 2. Luckily, I have disability insurance, hurray for the public service. I can do what's right for me.

3) Talked to my oncologist friend tonight. I had a tone of questions because in the oncology office, my brain goes blank. I learned a lot and now I wonder why I wasn't told all this before. I guess cancer is so complicated and different from one person to another, that if you don't ask the right questions, you don't get the right answers. Or maybe I'm just thick. Either way, found out just how Tamoxifen works. I wanted to know if it was going to shut down my ovaries and stop them from secreting other hormones or block all estrogen from my body, even the one secreted my other glands. The answer is neither. Tamoxifen will not put me in menopause, chemo did --most likely temporarily in my case. My age and the fact that it took lots of chemo to shock my ovaries means they are healthy and hardy and should keep working again in a few years regardless of taking this medication. For many women, they never start again and therefore, they are in menopause. How this medication really works is it competes with the estrogen in my body to fit in receptors. In other words, they are fake keys that fit in receptor locks. What these keys do is tell cells what to do. In the cancer cells' case, die. I think I might get symptoms of low estrogen if the fakes fit in other normal receptors, but I can accept that, especially if my periods come back. Woohoo! That's definitely good news --Not the period coming back part per say, just that it's the normal functions of my body.

1 comment:

alea said...

WOOT! that is the best freaking news i have heard all day!! :)