Friday, June 26, 2009

Need to do something

I found out today that 7 women in my neighbourhood between the ages of 20 and 35 have breast cancer. My first thought was is there something in the air? But no. It's sort of typical --scary, by typical. Early detection, more survivors mean more patients. I'll still ask my doctor's opinion on it though. What worries me more is that I never see these women around, even though I walk Oli all the time. This is because apparently, they never leave their house. Some are depressed, feel alone and are not coping well, while others probably deal with it in the safety and privacy of their own home. My nurse and doctor keep telling me I'm doing very well but I never realized I was at the top of the coping spectrum. Geez. I have to do something. I need to help. I wanna turn my cancer experience into something productive, positive. I have something to offer, to share.

I'm going to try to get in contact with these women and see if they would come over for tea or rum :), either on their own or all together. I don't want to intrude, but for those who feel alone and wish they were feeling differently, maybe knowing me could help. I'm sure going to try --pushy thing that I am. People keep telling me I have positive energy that's contagious. Let's see if cancer patients can catch it too.

1 comment:

Jedidja said...

That sounds like a great idea :) I hope your positive energy is contagious -- and I vote for rum over coffee. But that should not come as any surprise :D