Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The "oh come on!!" angry stage

I always wondered if the so-called stages of coping were really true. How could all of us go through big events in our lives the same way. Well, I'll tell you, in the last 2 weeks, I've been from total sadness, to denial to now, oh yeah, anger. I feel like Hower when he ate that deadly blowfish. Now, I'm going through the angry Why ME? thing. I am the poster child for not getting cancer. COME ON! And right now, I see articles about how to prevent cancer everywhere. Tonight, for example on Yahoo, there is one entitled "Eight praticle ways to avoid cancer":

1) Avoid tobacco --I have never smoked a day in my life. Not even tried. never. and I mean never.
2) Watch what you eat --I have been reading labels for years, I eat organic, low sodium, free range, air chilled, no fat, etc, etc, etc...
3) Stay in shape --I guess running, walking, yoga and pilates don't count.
4) Get immunized --I even get the flu shot!
5) Practice safe sun --I'm pasty white for a reason. Last tan I had was 1991. Not kidding.
6) Get routine screening --yep, an annual doctor's appointement religiously since I was 15.
7) Avoid or limit exposure to chemicals --I haven't used cleaning products, fabric softener, air fresheners, cosmetics, mass-produced skin lotions and shampoos in years. I even switched to medal water bottles and drank tap water before most of you. Really.
8) There was only 7, don't know how they counted 8.

So you see how I can feel that this is bull crap. What the hell? My whole adult life I have done everything in my power to be healthy. It's my thing. I sleep a lot, eat well, drink water, exercise, take my vitamins, and so on. What more could I have done? I guess none of it matters. Might as well have been a out of shape, junk eating, junkie. I'm mad.

2 comments:

alea said...

yup.
so then, the question is, what indulgence can you give yourself as your way of saying F#@$ it. if you are going to be mad, give yourself some satisfaction out of it :D

Gredelegre said...

Salut Angèle!
Je viens de lire la nouvelle...
Vraiment poche... Keep on, je pense à toi...