Saturday, November 22, 2008

The word is "Cancer" people.

First post on the 22nd of the month. Seems fitting, considering I was diagnosed on the 11th, the Rememberance Day I will never forget. There are some days in life we remember forever: the day you get married, the day your children are born, and the day someone tells you something is very, very wrong. That night, I was alone, on my way to get C de Lune from school while D was sitting in a pub accross town waiting for me. When the phone rang, I knew it was my doctor, the one who has known me since I was 15. I told her to tell me the news I was ready to hear. I found myself reacting less than when she told me I had to go for a biopsy. I guess I had imagined that moment so many times in that week, that it was like performing on opening night after months of rehersals. But the rest of the night was nothing like I had imagined. Thank G for neighbours. Anyways, I pretended life was still normal and went to the NIN concert as planned. The show must go on, right? Well, I can honestly say that was THE weirdest experience of my life. As the music vibrated through me in the dark, I looked around at the crowd wondering if in fact, 1 in 8 of all these women had the same life threatning disease that was suddently mine.

No comments: