Thursday, November 27, 2008

Unexpected help

Sometimes it's people you hardly know that say the things that stick the most. Not to say that my loved ones don't help, but sometimes, just sometimes, "outside the circle" people's words have the most weight. This happened to me 3 times in the last week.

Someone I know only from appointments I have told me that she had breast cancer at 24. She had 3 young children and her husband left her. She told me it was actually a good thing because she kept telling herself she had to live, that there was no other option. I thought to myself, "wow, things can always be worse, so I should count my blessings". It also reenforced what I already know to be true: nothing is ever all bad. And finaly, she told me the cancer has never come back and her children are all grown up. That was the best part of that conversation.

Another person who helped a lot was a friend I had long ago. She is in my life now, but not like back then. She has this way of talking to me --no bull. She said lots of things that stuck --she told me that now, I need someone to take care of me, to cook me good food, draw me a bath, give me hugs, listen, etc, etc. Yes, I know that, but it confirmed that I am aloud to want and need and aks for those things. She also said that not everyone will understand my need to take care of myself right now, and those who don't, I don't need in my life. She said cancer cleans out friends. It's harsh, but yes, I know that's true too. She also reminded me that it's the people closest to us who eat are crap (it's a saying in French: "qui mange notre marde") --I should remember that. Wouldn't want people to eat too much of it! :)

The third person shares her experience and ended up saying things I needed to hear. Things I was struggling with, things I felt alone in. It was like she gave me permission to be me. Very odd, but very useful.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Smiley face said...

I'm glad and happy to hear you got help when you expected the least.
I'm sure lots of people (friends, coworkers, family members, ...) would like to help you but they might not know how to do that
It's not every body that knows how to help us the way we would like to be helped.

But the most important is that you can get help.

I wish you luck