Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Unhealthy, me? Any superpowers?

I can't seem to see myself as anything but healthy. I keep reading stuff that tell me I'm not, and I'm going to all these tests, but I still don't see it. At least if I felt sick, I might consider changing my view on the matter, but not now. Even the oncology nurse, after she went through my profile and asked me questions said "wow, you are healthy!" and I added "Yes! Thank you! Well, except for this cancer thing". So, yeah. Cancer, shmancer. Nuh hun. Unhealthy? not me.

I'm reading this book that was written by this former TV producer in NY. She describes her breast cancer experience in useful, funny ways. This book and the last one I read make me think about the differences in having cancer in the US and having it in Canada. These books have pages and pages of advice about choosing the right surgeon, the right chemo oncologist, the right radiologist. It's like shopping for doctors! Come to think of it, that's exactly what it is. I guess when you're paying for a service, you must treat it as such. In my case, the choice I had was Where. Where did I want to be treated. So I picked the state-of-the-art Breast Cancer Treament Centre at the Civic. I met my doctor and that was it. I trust her. She seemed to know. Just...know. No second opinion needed or wanted.

Now, about that Nuclear Medicine Centre. Apparently, I have to go for a bone scan. Doesn't that sound gross? The receptionist assured me it doesn't hurt...yeah ok. I should have asked her if she has even had one. I will be injected with radio-active die twice in 3 days. That can't be good. Maybe I'll have superpowers. A friend asked me what 2 superpowers I would want. I think dissapearing (clothes included of course) and teleporting. Thought of mindreading , but I think it would just drive me nuts...

No comments: