Saturday, March 21, 2009

Choke on this

The day after chemo, i.e. yesterday, was a bit of a never ending living nightmare. I was sick. So very sick. Nauseous and vomiting, and icky all over. I slept most of the day since I couldn't really stay upright. Then it got much worse at 7 pm. My tongue started doing odd things, falling back in my throat without me being able to control it. Then it swelled up and it was apparent that I was close to choking. Claire went to the neighbours --love you T-- and D drove me to the ER. I swear, the amount of traffic laws he broke was preposterous, but necessary. I ran in with my hands full of meds, saying "Help, I've had chemo and I'm having an allergic reaction!". Well let me tell you those are the magic ER words. Then injected me with all 4 anti histamines within minutes of arriving (thank god for the picc line) and I was fine within 5 minutes. Had to stay under observation until 2 am, and I now have an epipen. It seems I'm allergic to FEC, my type off chemo. HA! So very ironic. The oncologist will have to reassess it all. Not to worry, I will still get chemo, just another cocktail. I'm fine though. Just high on steroids and low or Benadril. Bad mixture, let me tell you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that sounds scary! no fun at all I would imagine. fingers crossed that the treatment starts going better with the new meds.

ciao

m