Thursday, January 29, 2009

Radioactive girl

My breasts get to live another day. We were at the hospital at 6:20 this morning and I went through all the motions until I got to the radioactive injection (which helps the surgeon locate my lymph nodes to be biopsied). In passing, I told the technician that I had a nuclear test yesterday, info he didn't like hearing. He tested me and of course, I'm still radioactive which means the dye he would inject in my breast would get lost in my radioactiveness. So, no surgery for me today. Will be tomorrow night, most likely, but not guarantied. My surgeon, who I LOVE, is doing everything she can to make this happen, since she knows all that's gone wrong for me so far. But it isn't bothering me. I feel it's the bad side of the coin, the ying to the yang that's coming after surgery. Bad luck with bureaucracy and procedures one thing, bad luck with health is another. I'll take the former any day. In the mean time, I'm surprisingly calm --something has happened to me. I guess I'm just ready. And although this heart test wasn't necessary for surgery, it helped me manage my fears. The technician who did the IV took time to show me what it looks like, how it works, and didn't hurt me at all. She even offered to take the suttle to the other hospital to put the IV in me before my surgery. Now that's service!

Now I have these criptic drawings on my chest that I'm not aloud to wash off. I thought sharing a photo would be inapropriate, so I made a drawing. The blue is what's drawn on my skin. My surgeon, who I LOVE (have I said that?), is very conciensious of esthetics and is going to make me a type of scar that will be pratically hidden by the new nipples. I'm very excited. I even got myself a braless dress at American Apparel. Good times ahead and I'm still smiling.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

stay strong ...as if you would do anything else!